What is Rickets?
The word rickets comes from the old English word “wrickken”, which means to twist or bend. Rickets is a disorder caused due to lack of vitamin D, calcium, or phosphate. It leads to softening and weakening of the bones. It is a disease of bone which mostly affects infants and young children. The child’s growing bones fails to develop properly due to a lack of vitamin D, Calcium and Phosphate. This can result in softness and weakness of the bones, fractures in the bone and muscle pain, and many other types of deformities due to lack of vitamin D and calcium.
Children’s with naturally dark skin or inadequate exposure to sunlight are most commonly affected. Having deficiency of vitamin D in mother also increases a child’s risk.
Although, rickets is very common in industrialized nations, and is still fairly common in some other developing countries.
Not having sufficient calcium in one’s diet might also be a cause of rickets, as may vomit and diarrhea. Some childhood diseases like kidney and liver problems can also be the cause of rickets, as may a digestive condition complication which affects in the absorption calcium and phosphorous.
Rickets mostly affects children’s, while the disorder can also affect adults with the disease known as osteomalacia. In most of the cases, the child’s suffers from different and long-term malnutrition, which usually occurs during early childhood.
For good absorption of calcium and phosphorous from the gut, we needs vitamin D. If intensity of vitamin D in a child is low, he/she might have insufficient form of phosphorous and calcium in there bone levels. Providing children’s with extra amount of vitamin D and some minerals usually resolves the problem.
Causes of Rickets
Vitamin D helps our body to control calcium and phosphate levels. If the blood levels of any of these minerals become too low, our body might produce some types of hormones which causes calcium and phosphate to be released from the bones. This condition points to weaken and soften of bones.
Vitamin D is absorbed from food which is produced by our skin when visible to sunlight. Less production of vitamin D by the skin might occur in the people who:
• Lives in the climates with little contact to sunlight
• The people who mostly lives inside their homes, offices etc.
• The people who work indoors throughout the daylight hours
• The people who do not drink milk products
• The children’s who have naturally dark skin, they tends to absorb less sunlight than children who have fair skin
• Deficiency of vitamin D or calcium in our diet
• Limited breastfeeding (without vitamin D supplements) of babies whose mothers have deficiency of vitamin D
• Problems of the intestine, liver or kidneys that prevent the body from absorbing vitamin D or transforming it into its active form
• Disorders which reduces digestion or absorption of fats because vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin.
Symptoms of Rickets
• Pain in the bones or tenderness in the arms, legs, pelvis, and spine, cramps and spasms
• Weakness in muscles and decreased muscle tone
• Dental irregularities, including late tooth formation, deficiencies in the tooth structure, holes in the enamel, and increased cavities
• Increased bone fractures
• Slow development growth
• Bigger risk of broken bones, including unprompted breaks that arise by themselves without any pressure or trauma
• Distortions of the skeleton such as bent legs, kyphosis (‘hunch-back’), scoliosis (sideways curves of the spine), outward jutting breastbone or irregular the shape of skull
Treatment of Rickets
Amaria Pharmacy’s goal of treatment is to relieve you from different types of symptoms and conditions, and correct the cause of the disorders. The cause must be treated to prevent the disease from returning.
Treatment options for rickets include
• Enriched with sunlight exposure
• Enriched diet which includes sufficient consumption of calcium and vitamin D
• Special forms of vitamin D supplements should be given to the persons whose body doesn’t convert calcium and vitamin D into its proper form
Ambery Gripe Water is tonic which is rich in vitamin D, Calcium and several other ingredients which are very helpful for the treatment of rickets and is available almost at every store. The use of this special form of vitamin D supplement is the most effective option for the treatment of rickets.
Our Products used for the treatment of Rickets are as follows:
Ambery Gripe Water – it is an effective tonic for infants and children to keep them healthy in all season. It is a blend of Vitamin D, Pure Honey, and Calcium with pure and herbal medicines. Helps in natural growth and relieves in gripes and teething problems. It can also be used in the problem of Flatulence, Indigestion, diarrhea, vomiting and other diseases related to infants and children’s.
Ambery Lal Tel – it is herbal massage oil for infants and children’s. It strengthens the bones and makes them strong, active and healthy.
Ambery Tel – A massage oil which is also very helpful in the treatment of rickets.